After a weekend away with the family and not getting back to tea time this evening due to road closures I thought I would do a quick and easy post on here with a couple of easy recipes. I have modified these as we have been sugar free – remember that I still use fresh fruit though 🙂 – and in our attempts to limit the additives in our lives. The first one is the Ugly Muffins recipe which I posted on my recipe page. I have changed this one to a GF version which even himself eats so all good there 🙂 The second is the bread recipe I use to make our loaves every couple of days for those who aren’t GF in the house. I am an extremely lazy cook it has to be said, again, so these recipes really are easy to fit into your daily lives. Enjoy.
Ugly Muffins – The GF version 🙂
4 ripe bananas ( I usually use our frozen ones which have quite a bit of liquid with them)
1 finely diced apple with the skin left on
2 Tb olive oil
2 tsp vanilla essence
1/2 cup brown rice flour
1/4 cup cornflour
1/4 cup ground almonds
1/2 tsp mixed spice
1/2 tsp baking power (I make my own 2 parts cream of tartar, 1 part baking soda, 1 part arrowroot)
1/2 tsp baking soda
– mix everything together till well blended.
– grease muffin tins (we used the mini muffin kind) and put mixture into each ‘muffin’ space
– bake at 180 C for around 15 mins or until cooked.
Basic Bread – makes one loaf
2 cups tap hot water
2 cups white flour
2 cups wholemeal flour
1/2 tsp dried yeast
– Put water into a large jug or bowl and add the yeast without stirring. Leave until it is ‘bubbly'(usually just a few minutes)
– mix yeast and water then add flour in.
– mix initially and then give a quick knead on a floured bench until all the dough is cohesive. You may need to add more flour if the dough is sticky (this can depend on the type of flour used)
– put dough back into the bowl and cover. Leave to rise for 2 hours
– Give the dough another quick knead on a floured bench and shape into a loaf.
– Put loaf shaped dough into your floured loaf tin. Cut into the dough along the top – 1 x length-wise and 5 x width-wise
– Bake at 200 C for 40 mins (from a cold oven) or until golden. Turn out to cool on a rack and cover. The base should sound hollow when you tap it.