Well down here in the Southern Hemisphere it is truly harvest time. The weather has begun to cool and from where I’m sitting I can even see a few golden leaves on the trees. While the plums and cherry tomatoes have long since been enjoyed the zucchini are still going strong! It always amazes me just how many one plant can produce.
I’m not a huge fan of the stuff yet year after year we seem to have them in the garden. Even in the worst of growing seasons, year after year, they produce more than I or my family could possibly want. This year however I had a bit of a brainstorm as to how I could get through them a little easier …… FRITTERS!!
It is a recipe that I have used with other things, and the kids love fritters, I just never thought of using zucchini in them. They have gone down a treat, especially with our home-made plum sauce, and finally we are getting through the stockpile of veg 🙂 I have made a GF, diary free version which is equally as yum however you can always just make it a cup of regular flour and cow’s milk. Latest update: To make these vegan I have simply omitted the egg and added in a tablespoon of oil which seems to work just fine 🙂
Harvest Friters (GF, Dairy Free)
- 1 Cup of grated zucchini (or other veg if you wish)
- 1/3 Cup Rice Flour (use 1 Cup of Flour instead of the 3 flours if you don’t want/need GF)
- 1/3 Cup Buckwheat Flour
- 1/3 Cup Masa de Maiz (Instant corn Masa Mix from Tio Pablo)
- 1 tsp Gluten Free Baking Powder
- 1 egg
- 1 Cup of Rice Milk (Cow’s milk if you don’t need/want dairy free)
– Mix altogether in a bowl and place spoonfuls into a hot cast iron frying pan. You can use oil if you desire.
– When bubbles appear on the top of the fritter then turn and cook until golden.
– Enjoy with salad
Hope this finds you harvesting your own little treasures.