Wow…. just lit the third candle of our advent wreath so that must mean that it is time to begin thinking of Christmas Cakes! Last year was my first sugar free Christmas and with the help of a few friends I found some great recipes for Christmas Cake.
They were both gluten free, dairy free and refined sugar free and both delicious. I thought I’d share my favourite one with you again this year. I had planned to have tried out a new recipe that a lovely friend gave me but, well…… let’s just say that I haven’t got the ingredients yet 🙂
As soon as I’ve tried the new recipe and given it a thumbs up I’ll share. Until then, here is one for you to try.
Free Fruit Cake.
- 3/4 Cup Bin Inn Gluten Free Flour (this is a rice flour, tapioca and corn starch mix)
- 2 Cups of Walnut and Almonds
- 1 Cup Pitted Dates
- 1/2 tsp Gluten Free Baking Powder
- 1 Cup Cherries (ceres brand or cherryvite)
- 1 Small Cup thinly sliced citrus rinds – grapefruit, orange etc. (I boiled them up with some honey water to soften however if sugar doesn’t worry you then use mixed peel)
- Handful of diced dried apricots (enough to get mixture to a better consistency)
- 1 Cup Sultanas
- 1 tsp Nutmeg
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 3/4 Cup Orange Juice (natural without added sugar)
- 3 Eggs
- 2 tsp Almond Essence
Line the bottom of a 20cm cake tin with cardboard and baking paper. Preheat oven to 125°C. Finely chop dates, chop most of the nuts and cherries, leaving a few to decorate the top of the cake. Place sifted gluten free flour and gluten free baking powder in a large bowl. Mix all of the dry ingredients together. Beat eggs and orange juice together, add to mixture. Place into the lined baking tin, press down firmly. Decorate with cherries and nuts. Bake at 125°C for 2 – 2 1/2 hours. Leave to cool for 10 minutes in the oven.
Many thanks toBinn Inn NZ for their yummy recipe. http://www.bininn.co.nz/recipes/view/gluten-and-sugar-free-fruit-cake
Hope this finds you all stress-free in the lead up to a lovely full moon Christmas 2015.
One thought on “A ‘Free’ Christmas Recipe for you”