It has been a very busy past few weeks and the job list seems to keep on growing. One of these jobs is to make the most of our own food as it is at this time of year our orange and grapefruit trees are laden with gorgeous golden fruit. We end up giving loads away as we can never quite seem to cope with our abundance and there is only so much marmalade you can make and eat!
However tonight I will share our refined sugar free marmalade with you. I apologise now for the lack of accuracy in measurements (I tried my best to measure what I put into my latest batch) however it really does depend on how sweet your fruit is and on how sweet you like your marmalade to how much honey you want to plonk in. 🙂
Honey Marmalade – makes approx 4 x 225 gm pots
700 gm oranges (approx) (this can also be a mixture of grapefruit and orange)
Water to cover
250 gm runny honey
- Finely dice up the oranges and one lemon and place in a bowl.
- Cover fruit with water and cover with a plate. Leave to sit over night.
- In the morning transfer fruit and liquid into a thick based pot and add honey.
- Boil until the liquid has reduced and the marmalade has thickened. A good test is to put some marmalade onto a saucer and run your finger through it. If the marmalade stays apart then it is ready and if it runs back together it needs more boiling and reducing.
- Bottle into warm sterilised jars.
Hope this finds you enjoy the fruits of your life.