It is funny just how much I use coconut in my recipes considering I have always thought of myself as not enjoying coconut things. Anyway …. it does seem to be a go to sweet addition to many recipes which allow for taking out sugar or other fillers. I think all of my offerings, bar one, for morning tea during my 5 week infant massage course have coconut added! Not that anyone seems to mind and this week my offering of chocolate peppermint macaroons was a bit of a hit so I thought I would share it one here for everyone to find.
I did get this recipe, before I adapted it a bit, from Hungry Cub. She had shared a delicious raspberry recipe however, in usual form for me, because I did not have all the ingredients I opted for a chocolate peppermint one. Mine look no way near as beautiful or perfect as hers either ….. I tend to go for the natural, just chucked together look it seems and not just in my baking either ;). Anyway (looks aside) they taste yum, are very easy to make and best of all they are dairy free and gluten free!
Chocolate Peppermint Macaroons
2 Cups of shredded coconut
1 1/4 Tablespoons cocoa
1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
2 Tablespoons runny honey
a few drops of peppermint essence
2 egg whites
For the coating – optional
50gm 90% dark chocolate (this is dairy free)
1/2 Tablespoon coconut oil
- Pre-heat the oven to 160 C
- Mix the coconut and cocoa together and mix well.
- Add the honey, vanilla and peppermint essence into the the coconut mixture and make sure it is well blended.
- Beat the egg whites until they form stiff peaks
- Fold the egg whites into the coconut mixture.
- On a baking paper lined tray put teaspoonful size piles of the coconut mixture and bake for 10-12 mins or until they are browning a little on top.
- Once the macaroons are cool fully melt the chocolate and coconut oil in a double boiler (a small bowl over a pot of boiling water is my method).
- Dip the base of each macaroon into the chocolate and place on a baking paper lined tray to set. If you have extra you could also drizzle some chocolate over the top of the macaroons for an extra chocolaty treat.
- Place the tray into the fridge to set fully and store there until serving or in-between servings if they last that long!
Well that is it for this week. Until next time when I will probably share some Vegan recipe we are trying, now that my boy has decided that is his preferred eating, I hope this finds you healthy, happy and enjoying all the sweetness life has to offer.