It is the final week of Infant Massage this week. It has been a great course and while it has been a little different than other times as far as numbers attending I have really appreciated those who have come regularly. It is always so lovely to watch how the babies grow and develop over the course of six weeks and also how they grow to love getting a full body massage. Teaching this course is something which I never tire of and teaching at the Women’s Centre is something I am always very grateful for too.
In the past I have offered this course over five weeks so this one is a little different in having a sixth week. Having that extra week also meant I needed another tasty morning tea offering …. time to try a new recipe. While I have made macaroons in the past it was before I became vegan. Eggs and honey weren’t going to cut it this time. After a bit of a search online though I managed to find a good vegan macaroon recipe (Thanks A Virtual Vegan) which wasn’t too complicated. As I read the recipe though and saw how they had used an ice cream scoop to get perfect sized treats and realized that I may have to modify the recipe a little. For one I didn’t have the scoop to place them beautifully on the tray, which in and of it’s self wasn’t a biggie, but I really felt the desire to have a slice this week. The thought of not having mucky hands also appealed 🙂
So …. I have basically adapted the original ingredients into a new format. In the original recipe she states not to use shredded coconut as it won’t work but as that was the majority of the coconut I had it was included in my version. Waste not, want not! By having the shredded coconut as a base I still needed to add the finer desiccated coconut though to absorb some of the moisture. I also increased the cooking time a little due to the coconut being cooked in a tin as a slice rather than smaller amounts. Then once the coconut part was cooled I melted chocolate to pour on top …. as I said pretty much the same ingredients just put together a little differently 🙂
While none of the mamas or bubbas in this course have any allergies or food preferences I like to make the most of the opportunity to try some recipes and introduce others to vegan baking. With Easter looming this week too it may just make a good break from all the eggs while still giving you a chocolate hit.
2 cups of shredded coconut (the big long stuff)
1 cup of desiccated coconut (the fine small stuff)
1/2 cup of sugar
5 Tablespoons of Cornflour
1/2 cup and 2 Tablespoons canned coconut cream (I used Fia Fia brand which is thick and creamy)
100gm Dark Chocolate approx (depends on how thick you like your chocolate topping)
Sprinkle of salt
- Preheat the oven to 140 -150 C
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl. Blend well so everything is combined
- Add the coconut cream and add some more desiccated coconut if the mixture is still too wet. It should be able to hold together without any liquid coming out. Mix really well.
- Place mixture in a baking paper lined baking tin which is around 21 x 21cm (I like the ones that can put apart so you don’t have to risk breaking the slice) and pack down evenly
- Bake for 25-30 mins or until a little golden on top
- Allow to cool in the tin in the oven
- Once the coconut part has cooled use a double boiler to melt the chocolate
- Pour the melted chocolate onto the coconut base, spreadly evenly, and then place in the fridge to help set
- Once the chocolate has set remove from the tin and slice into pieces using a warm knife
Hope this finds you having a wonderful weekend and looking forward to an awesome Easter break … however that looks for you.