This cake got its name after I continually made it for a series of crochet ‘catch-ups’ we were having as a safe option for the GF amongst the group. It is in fact a very simple and delicious gluten free, diary free and sugar free cake which, if served warm, can also be used as a yummy dessert. After having to prepare some shared food for a course the kids were attending I realised that I was yet to share this recipe on here (well I think so anyway). So here goes!
Crochet Cake – aka diary free, gluten free, sugar free delight
1.5 Cups dates
1.5 Cups of boiling water
1/2 Cup Olive oil
2 ripe bananas – mashed
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp mixed spice
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp GF baking powder (2 parts cream of tartar, 1 part baking soda, 1 part arrowroot)
1 Cup rice flour
1/2 Cup desiccated coconut
- Soak dates in the boiling water for 10-15 mins before mashing into a smooth thick paste. If this is still a bit watery you can heat it slightly.
- Mix in olive oil to the date paste and stir until blended.
- Add eggs and bananas to date/olive oil mixture and mix until blended fully.
- Add all the remaining dry ingredients and mix until everything is blended.
- Line a cake tin with baking paper and pour in the mixture.
- Bake at 180C for 50-60 mins or until a cake tester comes out clean. Near the end of baking you may want to cover the cake with tin foil to allow it to keep cooking without the top getting too dark. It does take a while to get it fully baked.
- Enjoy warm with yogurt/whipped cream or allow to cool on a rack to enjoy later.
Hope this finds you enjoying lots of natural sweetness in your life.
One thought on “Crochet Cake – DF, GF & SF delight”